Remembrance Day was originally called Armistice Day and takes place on the 11th day of the 11th month, November 11th. At the 11th hour on this day, we pause to remember the brave soldiers who fought for our country. That date and time mark the moment that World War I ended.
Here are a list of places you can go this Remembrance Day to commemorate those we lost:
- Vancouver: Ceremony and parade at cenotaph in Victory Square at 10:00am (West Hastings St and Cambie St)
- Additional Remembrance Day ceremonies in Vancouver will take place at the Memorial South Park Cenotaph (41st Avenue and Windsor Street), Royal Vancouver Yacht Club (3811 Point Grey Road), Japanese Canadian War Memorial in Stanley Park, Grandview Park (1200 block of Commercial Drive), Crab Park at Portside and the Chinatown Memorial which will begin at 12:30 pm (Keefer Street and Columbia Street).
- Abbotsford: Ceremonies will be held at Veterans Way, Thunderbird Memorial Square, and Mount Lehman, 30346 McNeil Avenue (behind City Hall and next to Clearbrook Library), at 10:30 a.m.
- Burnaby: North Burnaby ceremony begins with a parade that leaves the Safeway parking lot, 4440 Hastings Street, at 10:30 a.m. and ends at the North Burnaby Cenotaph in Confederation Park (Willingdon Avenue and Penzance Drive). The South Burnaby ceremony begins with a parade that leaves from Fire Hall No. 3 at 10:30 a.m. and arrives at the South Burnaby Cenotaph in Bonsor Park (Imperial Street and Nelson Avenue). Both cenotaph services begin at 11 a.m.
- Chilliwack: Three different ceremonies, starting at 10 a.m., will be held at the downtown cenotaph at Main Street and Yale Road, the Sardis cenotaph at Vedder Road and Keith Wilson Road and at the Sto: lo Nation grounds (7201 Vedder Road).
- Coquitlam: A Remembrance Day service will take place at the Como Lake Middle School Auditorium at 9:45 a.m., followed by a parade along Winslow Avenue to the cenotaph on Veterans Way, where the ceremony will commence at 11 a.m. A parade to Royal Canadian Legion Branch 263 follows.
- Delta/Ladner: In North Delta, a ceremony begins at 10:40 a.m. at the North Delta Social Heart Plaza. In South Delta, a parade from the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 61 (4896 Delta Street) starts at 10:15 a.m. The ceremony at the cenotaph at Memorial Park in Ladner (47 Ave & Garry St), follows at 10:40 a.m.
- Langley/Aldergrove: There will be a parade (10:30 a.m.) and ceremony (10:50 a.m.) at the Douglas Park Cenotaph (20550 Douglas Crescent). Additional ceremonies will be held at the Fort Langley cenotaph (23105 St. Andrews Avenue) — parade begins at the cemetery at 10:25 a.m. — and at the Aldergrove Legion cenotaph (26607 Fraser Highway) at 10:50 a.m. following a short parade which begins on Old Yale Road near 268 Street. For the first time, a formal ceremony at the Murrayville Cemetery cenotaph (21405 44 Avenue) will take place at 10:45 a.m.
- Maple Ridge: A parade beginning at 10:30 a.m. will be followed by a 11 a.m. ceremony at Memorial Peace Park (11900 224 Street).
- Mission: The parade will begin at 10:15 a.m. at Ecole des Deaux Rives (7674 Stave Lake Street). The service at the Clark Theatre (33700 Prentis Avenue )starts at 10:40 a.m., followed by a wreath laying and social gathering at Legion Branch 57 (32627 Logan Avenue).
- New Westminster: The service will take begin at the city hall cenotaph (511 Royal Avenue) at 10:30 a.m.
- Richmond: The ceremony at Richmond City Hall (6911 No. 3 Road) will begin at 10:20 a.m. with a parade towards the cenotaph, which is located on the east side of city hall. Official ceremonies at the cenotaph begin at 10:40 a.m. There will be two minutes of silence at 11 a.m., followed by wreath-laying
- Port Coquitlam: The service begins at 9:30 a.m. at the Wilson Centre (2150 Wilson Avenue), followed by a 11 a.m. ceremony at the cenotaph in Veterans Park. Remembrance Day celebrations will be held at the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 133 from 12:30 to 8 p.m.
- Pitt Meadows: The ceremony begins at 10:30 a.m. at the Spirit Square cenotaph (12007 Harris Road).
- Surrey: A family-friendly event will begin at 10:45 a.m. at the Surrey Centre Cemetery (16671 Old McLellan Road). Poppies and flags will be placed on the graves of more than 500 veterans.A parade and ceremony will take place at the Whalley Legion (13525 106 Avenue) beginning at 10 a.m.In Newton, a procession at Newton Seniors Centre Park (13775 70 Avenue) begins at 10 a.m., with the service beginning at 10:45 a.m.The Cloverdale branch of the Royal Canadian Legion will host the Surrey Remembers event at Veterans Square (17717 56A Avenue) beginning at 10 a.m.The Port Kells Community Hall ceremony begins with a procession at 10 a.m.; the service begins at 10:30 a.m.
- White Rock/Crescent Beach: The Royal Canadian Legion Branch 008’s Remembrance Day parade will start at the corner of Roper Avenue and Johnston Road at 9:30 a.m. The wreath laying ceremony at White Rock City Hall cenotaph starts at 11 a.m..The Legion’s Crescent Beach Branch 240 (2643 128 Street, Surrey) has a ceremony beginning with a procession at 10 a.m. and the service at 10:30.
Thanks to the Vancouver Sun for the list above, click HERE for the full link to the Remembrance Day 2017 article.